Warning: This a somewhat difficult recipe, especially to beginners. Although I found it fun to make, I got worried it wouldn’t work a few times. I turned out well although my grandad reckons I needed more sugar and I agree with him, the blackberries are more bitter than I had expected.
You will need:
- sweet shortcrust pastry. Click here for my recipe –> Sweet Shortcrust Pastry 😀 (Possibly need to make 2 lots)
- 400g cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 100g fresh blackberries (washed)
- At LEAST 35g caster sugar I would go up to 45g if I were you. First day It was bitter but the day after It wasn’t.
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
1. Roll out pastry on a floured surface and fit into a pie dish, Blind bake at Gas mark 5/190*C/ 375*F for 20 minutes, then bake normally for a further 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
2. Put the apples in a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Take it out and add the blackberries, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
3. Don’t drain, put put all the mixture in the pie base. Use any extra (or make more pastry) to make the top. Picture below for the design I went for. Brush top with egg to help brown nicely.
4. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown, leave to cool for 30 minutes. Serve with custard. ENJOY!!! MWA!! >:D