Probably one of my favourite beltane recipes, i wish i used the full amount of maple syrup though, but we didnt have quite enough.
- 1 (7g) packet Active dry yeast
- 80ml Maple syrup
- 60ml Warm water (Body temp)
- 360g Plain flour
- 3tbsp Brown sugar
- 1tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 50g Butter, room temp, cut into thin sheets
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the middle.
- In a jug, mix the water, yeast and syrup, pour into the well and mix until completely combined, then “cut” the butter into the mixture by basically folding it in with a cutting motion to break it up.
- Cover the bowl and leave to rise for half an hour, transfer to a baking sheet, let rise fore another half hour, preheat oven to gas mark 6/ 200*C/ 400*F, cut a cross into the top and bake until it sounds hollow when tapped on the underside (30 ish minutes). Done.