I’ve wanted to make spaghetti for a while. I got the idea from one of my favourite video game characters and have wanted to make it since. I found a recipe and wanted to make it myself but Grandad had to show me the safe way to chop an onion and grate the carrots and not my fingers. Not an easy recipe but well worth it!
You will need:
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 150g grated carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef stock
- 400g spaghetti
- 2 tsp garlic puree
1. Heat a saucepan over a low heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil and once hot add the beef mince and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until brown and there are no pink bits visible. Transfer meat to bowl along with any juices.
2. Add the other tbsp olive oil in the same pan as the meat was previously cooked in and add the diced onions and a pinch of salt. Fry slowly for 5 minutes or until soft and going translucent. Add the garlic and stir well, cook for another 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the carrot and beef mince (juices included) to the onion mix and mix well.
4. Add the tomatoes and mix, add the beef stock and stir. Bring to a simmer and stir enough so it doesn’t stick. Do this for 45 minutes, continuously checking on it every few minutes and stirring.
5. When ready, cook the spaghetti according to packet. We cooked ours for 10 minutes in slightly salted boiling water.
6. Serve however you want. You can drain and mix into the bolognese or drain and lay in a ring on a plate and put some bolognese in the middle like we did!