These muffins are traditionally eaten during Imbolc, also known as candlemas. Quick and easy to make and containing carrot, apple, raisins and almonds so they are a lot healthier than most muffins
2 Carrots, grated
1 apple, peeled, cored, grated
50g almonds sliced (I have used ground almonds in this recipe as well)
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cinnamon
150g vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
- Soak raisins in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly
- Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180 C.
- In a large non-metal bowl, mix flour, sugar, bicarb of soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in carrots, raisins, apple, and almonds.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, and vanilla until well blended. Stir egg mixture in to the flour mixture.
- Grease muffin pan with a little butter or use cupcake/muffin cups. Divide the batter into the cups and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Makes 8 large muffins or 12 smaller ones
I have also tried making these wthout sugar. They have more of a museli bar taste. I don’t mind withor without sugar but I think everybody else would chose the sugar ones. You can see the difference the lack of sugar made to the appearance