Yesterday was my sister’s birthday, and for her birthday I made her a cake. It’s just a normal sponge cake because I mainly focused on the look of the cake. This wouldn’t have been possible if it wasn’t for Becky @BecksBake , here’s a link to her facebook page BecksBakes
You will need:
- 9 Eggs (4 and than 5), weigh them (with the shells on)
- The same weight of Self-raising flour, Caster Sugar and Butter as eggs.
- 5tsps Vanilla extract
- Couple pinches of salt
- Vanilla butter cream
- 1kg White fondant icing
- 1 Unicorn cake kit from BecksBakes
1. Because its such a large amount of batter, it would probably best to split the mixture, so do 4 eggs first and then 5. Anyway, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Preheat oven to gas mark 5/190*C/375*F, grease a round cake tin (mine was 8 inches in diameter).
2. Add one egg at a time along with a fraction of the flour (if you were using 4 eggs you would put 1/4 of the flour in, 5 eggs then it would be 1/5), mix and repeat until no eggs and flour remain, add in the vanilla and salt (again, split it up if you’re doing the batter in (kinda) half) and mix a little, I’ve learned that it’s best to do it carefully as to not knock the air out.
3. Half fill the cake tin and bake for about 30 minutes or until the centre of the cake is cooked, the reason my cake had sweets inside was because the first cake wasn’t done properly and the middle sank. Repeat this until you have 4 cakes, with butter cream, mine stood at about 4-5in. So if the cakes are thin then you’ll need more, and vice verse.
4. Let the cakes cool and level them out if needed, put a decent layer of buttercream on top of each and layer the cakes. I’d flatten the top. Again, should stand at about 4in if its more then great, the more the merrier.
5. Roll out the fondant to about 17in round (Basically, measure the diameter of the cake then add on the sides (x2) and add a little extra to be sure, that’s how round it should be, at least that’s what I think), magically put the fondant on the the cake, cuz I have no idea how to explain that nightma- I mean fun. Now go crazy and stick the unicorn things on wherever, I’m tired now I’m just going to sleep. Ta daa done.
PS. The reason I used a pre-made unicorn decorating kit was that this is the first time I’ve done something like this, I don’t usually focus on the look of whatever I’m making, more the taste. Next time I will try to do it myself, which probably won’t turn out well.