I’ve made quiches before but I think these ones were nicer, it also has an odd way to make pastry. Usually pastry would need to be quite cold to work, but this recipe wants to BOIL the water and butter! Nanny likes this pastry though, so I suppose its alright. Makes about 20 – 24.
You will need:
- 330g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150ml water
- 115g butter
- 150g grated cheese
- 150g soft cheese
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1tsp parsley
- 1/2tsp oregano
- 1tsp basil
- 1/4 -1/2tsp white OR black pepper
- 170g broccoli florets, chopped up
1. In a small saucepan, boil the water and butter together. but stop if it stares the froth, like mine did. Leave it to cool a bit, but not too much (otherwise it will probably go lumpy).
2. Mix the flour and salt together, add the water mixture to the flour and mix with a spoon (as to not burn yourself) until a soft dough forms. Oil a cake tray (I don’t know what they are called). Preheat oven gas mark 4/180*C/350*F
3. Knead the dough on a floured surface for no more than a couple of minutes, leave it to rest. Roll it out to about 1/2cm thick, cut out circles with a fluted (sorta bumpy) cutter and place into the tray, prick the bases and set aside.
4. Mix together all the ingredients for the filling, being careful not to mix it too much as the lumps of soft cheese are really nice in the finished product. Spoon the mixture into the pastry cases and bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is semi-hard and the filling looks cooked (this pastry doesn’t really brown). Enjoy!