This recipe is technically a failed version of a different recipe, because i didn’t follow the instructions. But it doesnt really matter, it worked anyway because there wasnt a reason for it not to. This just means that my nan’s going to do the “real” version and write that recipe out at some point.
- 450g Minced beef
- 1 Small onion, finely diced
- 1 Garlic clove, finely diced
- 400g Can tomatoes
- 1tbsp Dried mixed herbs
- 1tsp Parsley
- 1tsp Thyme
- 150ml Beef stock
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 800g Potatoes, peeled and cubed in small-medium chunks
- 2 Large leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1tbsp Margarine
- Salt&Pepper to taste
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- In a medium saucepan, cook the mince with the onion and garlic until completely cooked and browned, add the tomatoes and the herbs, mix well and add the stock and salt&pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While that does its thing, put the potatoes and leek in a big saucepan and add enough water to cover, add a decent bit of salt. This helps them taste not boring, bring to boil and let it boil until the potatoes are completely cooked, remove a load of the leeks and just put them in a bowl or something. Preheat oven to gas mark 5/ 190*C/375*F.
- Tip half of the mince mixture into a baking dish, then add half of the potatoes on top, along with the separate leeks, spread evenly, add the rest of the mince on top of that.
- Mash the rest of the potatoes and leek with the margarine and salt&pepper, add it on top of the other stuff in the baking dish, sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes, until browning sightly on the edges.