These were another thing we made for Abbie’s birthday buffet, a joint effort from Abbie (pastry), Tom (the filling) and me, Lydia (making up the actual pasties).
These are so much tastier than shop bought pasties and they taste good when cold as well. Perfect for a packed lunch as well.
450g lamb mince
100g diced swede
2 medium carrots, finely diced
3/4 cup of petit pois
2 lamb stock cubes
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tbs cornflower
1 tbs mint sauce
1 tsp rosemary
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
Plus some Short Crust Pastry, see recipe here
- Put the vegetables into salted water, bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the mince in a pan to brown, half way through browning start adding the other ingredients; Worcestershire sauce, Rosemary, salt & pepper, mint sauce & stock cubes. Finally stir in the cornflour to thicken.
- Next add the vegetables & water (from the vegetables) to create the required consistency, we made it into the consistency of thick gravy.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Roll out the pastry to around 4mm thick. I used a bowl to cut around to make the right size for our pasties.
- Place enough of the lamb mix in for a decent amount of filling, brush the edges with milk, fold over & crimp the ends shut.
- Bake at gas mark 5 for around 20 minutes, until golden brown.