I was going to make the children some fairy cakes but I wanted to make them a little different so I decided to try using some golden syrup and brown sugar in the recipe. It actually turned out pretty well. I think this recipe would work really well as a small loaf or as a tray bake as well.
100g of Demerara Sugar
200g Margarine (softened)
2-3 tablespoons of golden syrup (personal choice on how sweet you like cakes)
200g Self Raising Flour
Preheat oven to gas mark 3, 170 C
- Add the margarine & sugar to a bowl and cream until smooth.
- Next add the eggs and golden syrup into a bowl and whisk until combined
- Add the egg and golden syrup into the margarine & sugar mixture
- Fold the flour into the other ingredients and mix until you get a smooth consistency
- Place into the cake cases or tin and sprinkle a little more sugar over the top
- Place it in the oven for around 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a skewer placed into the center comes out clean