Yesterday was my second awards night with SJA, I got 2 awards same as last year, the highest attendance and somehow the most enthusiastic. I baked a cake which actually turned out really well, I think is was the best one there! The cake was simple but the icing was a pain. Tip: For rolling out icing, use 2 sheet of grease proof paper. It makes your life so much easier.
You will need:
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g soft butter
- 3 large eggs (4 medium eggs)
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Butter cream
1. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mi JUST UNTIL SMOOTH. Grease a (or two) baking tin and preheat oven the gas mark 4/ 180*C/ 350*F.
2. Pour mixture into the baking tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
3. If you used all the mixture in one tin then cut the cake through the middle once cooled. If you made in 2 separate tin then flatten the top of 1 (or both) half by cutting off top with a sharp knife.
4. Put as much butter cream on as you want on and sandwich them together. Enjoy!!