This should be eaten with meat or something as a meal or fancy mash as a side dish! Not the easiest thing to make, but then again, not the hardest. It was nice apart from the fact it needed more seasoning, something to keep in mind for next time!
You will need:
- 1kg peeled potatoes cut into smallish pieces (have to be about same size)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g shelled peas, fresh or frozen (and thawed)
- 30g unsalted butter
- 250ml milk or cream (or a bit of both if you prefer)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g ham, sliced into thin ribbons
- A small bunch of fresh chives, snipped into small pieces
- 90g cheddar, grated
- salt & ground black pepper
1. Put potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Add a few pinches of salt to taste. Boil for about 20 minutes until you can easily put a knife into them with much effort.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion an a pinch of salt and cook until browned ( 5-7 minutes). Put the peas in a owl and add water to cover, put in the microwave and microwave on a high setting for 3 minutes.
3. Drain the cooked potatoes, mash and add the butter, milk/cream and salt. Mix in the egg until well blended. Pre heat oven to gas mark 5/190*C/375*F. Prepare a large dish.
4. Stir in the onion, peas, ham , chives and half the cheddar. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and bake until browned, 40-45 minutes. Enjoy.